7.13.2008

One Small Step For Lindsey....

Though it may seem like nothing to most people, I made history for myself a few days ago. If you know much of anything about me, you know that I am not the most outgoing of people and I absolutely HATE confrontation. I find it much easier to be a quiet than to tell someone I have a bit of an issue with something, especially talking to my boss. She's not a mean person at all, but I must admit that I am very intimidated by her. She expects you to be very upfront with her, and that's just not me. I would much rather be a little unhappy than risk making her mad! She told me from the beginning that she would rather I not take much time off from work, which is totally understandable. So I try to plan my vacation time very carefully. I checked back in March to find out exactly when I would have off so I could plan accordingly. And I really look forward to my vacations....who wouldn't? Well, I was told I had July 14th-18th off and I had volunteered to be a camp counselor at a church camp because they were having difficulty finding people. Well, Thursday, after work, my boss told me to be at the office as usual on Tuesday morning. I told her I thought I had the week off and she promptly told me that vacation was pushed back two weeks. And it wouldn't have been a problem at all if the church hadn't had a hard time finding councelors. Well, I almost told her I had other plans, but I really didn't want her mad at me, so I just said okay and went about my business. But as soon as she left I broke down in tears. In fact, I cried all the way out of the office, into my car and all the way home (a good 20 minute drive if you go the speed limit)! And the rest of the afternoon, I had myself a good old fashioned pity party! That was childish, I know....and not really a Biblical thing to do! My mom told me I should have just told her I had made plans and talked with her right then. Do I want to be a doormat the rest of my life? (Well, she didn't exactly use those terms, but in my highly emotional and upset state of mind, that is what I heard!) So I thought on that the rest of the afternoon, and after talking to my dad and my best friend, and hearing different words with the same message several times, I decided to do something about it. So I, Lindsey Lyman, did the unthinkable! I picked up my phone and I called my boss!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! (Another fact about me--I HATE talking on the phone for the most part!) It was one of the scariest things ever, facing two fears at the same time--my boss and the telephone! I told her I had a slight problem and proceeded to state my case, trying to be as humble and respectful as possible. I told her I was terribly sorry that I had something planned, but that I had no idea vacation was pushed back. And I told her I would really appreciate the week off, but if it wasn't possible, I would understand! And she said she would think about it.....I talked to her the next day and she said she had it all worked out! Amazing what can happen when you stand up for yourself! A long story with a simple lesson for me! "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 Now, I know this verse was God talking to Joshua about leading the Israelites, but it reminds me that God is faithful and never leaves me. If I trust Him, He will lead me and give me the courage I need deal with tough situations instead of running from them. Anyways, that was my (slightly dramatized) adventure and life lesson for the week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God is faithful to never give us more than we can handle!