I just joined a Tuesday morning Bible study with Cora and Sarah, and we're going through a book called Beautiful In God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. The book is on being a Proverbs 31 wife. I've always looked at being the Proverbs 31 wife as a "noble goal" but have never seriously pursued it because I'm not married yet, and frankly, it looks like a lot of work....let's just chalk it all up to laziness.
One of her points in chapter 3 is that at the mother of the King is telling him to go out and FIND a woman like she describes. And the more I think about it, the more I am willing to admit that if I get married, I'm not just going to magically transform into a Proverbs 31 woman. It requires forming habits and self discipline. And what better time to practice than when I'm not married!
That being said, these are a few things that I am going to do to work towards being worthy of a Godly husband:
*Time management-how much time do I spend sleeping in, or watching movies, or at the coffee shop reading (among other things)? I seem to have a very bad habit of simply wasting time. So, my plan of action for this is that I'm going to sit down and write out a "Time budget." Sounds silly perhaps, but until I form good time management habits, I'm going to try to stick to a schedule.
*Finances-I'm not going to lie. Using money wisely and keeping track of it is not at all my strong point. It's unfortunate, really, because my mom has tried to help me get a handle on doing my check book and budgeting, and I just haven't made the time to keep up with it. I really has a lot to do with time management as well. My biggest problem with it is I simply don’t make time. I put it at the back of my priority list and forget about it. Sooooo, my plan of action is, I'm going to write out a monthly budget and do my very best to stick to it.
Both of these are going to require some accountability, so I will need to ask someone to check in with me to make sure I'm "sticking to the plan".
I'm actually quite excited about this project! There's nothing more exciting than honoring God and being found acceptable and pleasing to Him. After all, even if getting married is a ways off, Christ is still my bridegroom and everything I do should be out of love, respect, submission and honor for Him.
**This is my desire,
To honor You.
Lord, with all my heart I worship You,
All that is within me,
I give You praise.
All that I adore is in You.
Lord, I give You my heart,
I give You my soul,
I live for You alone.
Every breath that I take,
Every moment I'm awake,
Lord, have Your way in me.**
4 comments:
I almost got that book for you for Christmas! It's a good one.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far! Very challenging, but refreshingly so. :)
I will be praying for you as you tackle a couple tough areas of your life. Remember, that God in the land before time took you as His project. He will complete His project as planned He alone will transform you to Christ' image with great blessing to you.
Grandpa.
Maybe I should borrow your book after you're done...or I could just get my own! =}
Love you, Mama
Post a Comment